Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Wonderful Wednesday

I know it is supposed to be Wordless Wednesday but there is no meme that can explain this. If you have been a reader here long you have heard some of the details of my disabling injury from the USAF. If not then go read my Maniac Monday post which details it and the lasting effects.
Anyway, this has not been my best year. I got the kidney stones to slow down but found out one of my disks in my lower back is toast. Surgery carries only a 50% success rate so I have moved on to pain management until it gets worse or something better comes along. I currently wear pain patches and have medication for breakthrough pain. Over the years I have grown quite a tolerance for pain so I know it has gotten bad. This morning, for instance, I couldn't stand up for long because my lower back and hips were hurting so badly that my stability was not reliable.
Most of the time only my immediate family sees that pain. I usually don't say much more except to Erica because most people either don't get it or don't care. That's cool.  It is my issue.
My husband was talking to his Mom the other night while I was working on a huge paper I had to finish. I only heard one side of the conversation. My husband told her that I was in almost constant pain but I was working my ass off to get my school work done. He didn't have anything in his voice but sincerity and concern with a touch of pride. I asked him about it. He said, "I see what you are going through. When the weather changes and when it rains. You are miserable." I cried and thanked him because he gets it. He understands. He is one of few who does including people you would think should get it. He rarely ever gets mad at me for my pain conditions and I don't even think it is me personally that he is mad at. We have known each other since our sophomore year of high school so he knew me before all this. I think he gets pissed at the people who let me get hurt and the doctors who insisted it was just a sprain and sent me back to duty. It was a civilian doctor who x-rayed me and caught the breaks. I think he is pissed that the VA never did much of anything either. Epidural steroid shots that helped once and left me crying on the couch for a week after the second shot with unreturned calls. He gets mad when people talk to me like I am weak or unworthy but he never talks to me like that.
My husband is not perfect. I am not perfect. Together we have made a life together with our kids and our very different families. We make it work because we love each other, our kids, and we respect each other. It doesn't work for everyone but it does work for us. Even when I am bitchy because I am overwhelmed especially at the end of the semester... I know he has my back. I have his too.
Bonus points if you could find a meme to sum all of this up.

1 comment: