Friday, September 26, 2014

Friday Five- Love and Marriage

This month my husband and I celebrated 11 years marriage. I thought my contribution to the Friday Five would be dedicated to what I love about marriage. My husband and I have been friends for almost 25 years and even knowing him that long didn't prepare me for marriage. There are things that no one tells you. It is NOTHING like Disney or any other fairy tale makes it out to be. Almost every anniversary was a fight for us to keep at it. I say *ALMOST* because the last few have been easier.


So here goes:

Five things I love about marriage

1. I love knowing that I am coming home to my best friend.
2. I love having someone to cover me when I have had enough. Parenting, cooking, picking up the kids... if he can do it he normally will cover me.
3. I love seeing the delight on his face when I randomly bring him home something he enjoys like Reese's Pieces.
4. I love having someone to bounce ideas off of for school work. (sometimes blogs)
5. I love knowing that he loves me unconditionally. We have walked through hell together and made it out. I know that he is the love of my life.


BONUS
I am married to a Foodie who is up for almost any culinary adventure that I am so we are always trying new things together.

Five things people don't tell you about marriage

1. You are stuck with all their disgusting habits but remember that they are stuck with yours and what is disgusting to you may not be disgusting to them.
2. You have to let another person know where you are and what you are doing on at least a semi-regular basis or they get a bit pissed off worried.
3. You are accountable to another person or persons if you have children for all of your decisions. Making the best decision for the family is not always easy or fun but necessary.
4. You now have to share a bed with another person. My advice is get your own blankets, pillows, alarm clocks, bed side tables, etc... These movies you see with the couple spooning and cuddling while sharing blankets and pillows... TOTAL CRAP!
5. No matter how wonderful the person is, and my man is pretty great, you have to deal with completely different upbringings. They are going to do things completely different from you and vice versa. My husband routinely questions why I do the things that I do. It is human nature to do things the way your family of origin taught you. Sometimes the best thing that you can do is back off and mind your own dang business let them do their thing.


BONUS

Marriage is work. It is hard work some days. If you choose to do the work it is rewarding.

ABUSE IS NEVER OK! If you are being physically, emotionally, or sexually abused please seek help!

No comments:

Post a Comment