Thursday, July 30, 2015

Savory Saturday presents Chicken Paprikash

Sour Cream Chicken Paprikash

1 2 1/2 - 3 lb chicken ( I used 4 1/2 lbs of thighs)
1 large onion chopped
Salt to taste
4-8 cups sour cream (I used 2 24 ounce containers because I had more chicken and I like sauce)
1 tsp of paprika (No, just No. It is paprikash. It MUST have Paprika. I mean, your sour cream should be a funky color. I used TBSPs and then stopped measuring. Adjust to your tastes. Razark is part Slovakian so he loves it. No complaints from my kids either.)
I also add garlic cloves minced to mine because... Well who needs a reason really. We live garlic.
Slovakian Dumplings (I used egg noodles due to time but I will include the recipe below. I have also used Spaetzle aka German Dumplings because I love them. Find those in the noodle isle.)

Brown the chicken lightly in a small amount of oil until the sputtering stops. I use olive oil. Place the chicken and onion in a kettle over medium heat. I have already started in the small stocky pot (it's short but stocky) so I just add the onions and garlic. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through. Combine sour cream, paprika, and salt if using in a bowl. Whisk together to blend. Pour mixture over chicken before all moisture cooks out. I didn't have a problem with moisture and just added it after the 10 minutes. Turn the chicken to coat well, or just stir if you are using thighs. Reduce temperature to low, Cook covered 10 more minutes or until cooked through and sauce is creamy and thick. It may be kinda thin but in my experience it coats the noodles better. Stir often. Serve with Dumplings or what ever you want.

I use boneless skinless chicken thighs because you get the flavor and moisture of the dark meat but do not have to fight skin and bones. If you have small children, you will thank me for this.

Slovakian Dumplings

2 eggs
Salt
Flour
Salted water

Beat the eggs in a bowl; add dash of salt. Stir in enough flour with a fork to form a stiff dough. Drop spoonfuls of dough in boiling salted water and cook for 10 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment